- Can I trust you to make good decisions?
- Do I have confidence in you?
- How confident are you in yourself?
- Do you have an agenda you’re not sharing with me?
- Does your “do match your tell?”
- Do you tackle problems with the big picture of organization, customers and goals in mind?
- How strong are your critical problem solving skills?
- Are you creative?
- Have you sought out other parties to evaluate your ideas and test your assumptions?
- Can you do more for this organization? (Are you promotable?)
When connecting with the boss, think about the questions above and make certain that you are adept in scaling from the big picture to the details and agile enough to engage on the issues.
Bosses at all levels like “complete thinkers” who take every opportunity to solve even bigger problems for our organizations. In fact, we like to promote these people, provide them with more responsibility and yes, pay them more.
Never underestimate the power of a single conversation to strengthen your case with the boss.